Skip to main content

Move your lips, people...

OK. We have just landed in historic, Queensy, Lordsy and the most "lovely" London.

My fascination for British is fairly good. Let me admit. This is a nation which has historically proved that a handful of masterminds can take over hordes of mere brawns. A country that has given us the best in the literature and arts in the annals of civilization. Huge salute.

Now, to reality. Maybe somethings are only good in dreams. What can I say? Using astute people reading skills that even a toddler can put to use, I realised something that put me off -completely. This "stiff upper lip" thing is so true. Gawd, these Brits have mastered the whole "sour puss" look to the tee - yes, pun very much intended.

Ok, so I have this self-confessed weakness to admit. I like to talk to cab drivers. Anywhere in America, they usually reply. Even New York cabbies in their a la Bond style, mid-air flying escapades do stop. And talk. But, these Brit cabbies were so rude. I started on a very few basic chit chat stuff about the weather, landmarks etc. etc and what did I get in return, you ask? Even if you don't, I'm planning on venting anyway..... nothing at all. Zilch. Worse of it all, the cabbie pursed his lips even further and perfected in making it a single straight line. Offended would be an understatement here.

But, I told myself not to jump into any conclusions. A 20 minute cab ride shouldn't be an accurate measure of a nation's politeness meter, by any standards. So, I waited further and further. Well, folks my meter worsened by the hour. And, in the battle of friendliness and courtesy between America Vs Great Britain, you know who won hands down.

So, you Englanders, loosen up. Cheers. Move your lips. Where art thou something basic called "small talk"?

Popular posts from this blog

Gossips Galore...

Let me shamelessly admit. I love them all. Harmless tidbits involving movie stars, Tv stars or anyone famous than me (which the last time I checked, shockingly includes most of the adult population) would be great for starters. If you're like me who loves to go through the gossip mags on shelves or even better, browse useless online web sites, but consciously pretend you never ever read them, please raise your hands. Ok, keep up the good work of "Mission TattleTalk" from getting destroyed by those bland non-gossipers. Who by the way, are really leading pathetic, platonic lives. Not even worth gossiping about. Back to juicy sound bytes, there are those personalized ones like getting the latest updates on our relatives and friends back home in India. Where, thanks to a zero-tolerance policy to privacy of life, everyone seems to have a deep, insightful knowledge of what the others around them are doing - who lost their job, who got married and living unhappily ever afte...

A Flight without Kids

An emergency and i had to do it. That is, leave my kids behind and take a long 20 hour flight to India. I was a nervous wreck by the time i even went to the airport. It was years since i boarded a flight without the company of a tot. Can i do this, really? Finally waved my byes, and got my luggage checked in. After the initial panic attacks, i sort of settled down. Did some reading and just took some time for myself, engrossed in my thoughts. This was strange, even surreal. Now, what? Nothing else to do. No bathroom visits, feeding sessions, heck, not even one complaint of boredom to hear. When i boarded the plane, i looked at everyone around as if i was seeing the world like a newborn baby. Is this how co-passengers look like? In all our previous trips, everybody around me always seemed like blurry images scurrying here and there. Who has time to observe people when you have a toddler or a preschooler tugging your arms? After a few hours of my newfound freedom though, was i havi...

Life behind the Veil...

I just finished reading a fascinating book -'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini . In the book, when the author talks about Afghanisthan and the cruelty of the Taliban, it reminded me of our short stay in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. 15 years ago. A bad dream, but worth penning about. At the outset, Riyadh appeared to be a beautiful garden city, with well-maintained roads, glamorous malls and people literally rolling in money everywhere. All this wealth in exchange for one birthright - your freedom. That's the skeleton that was taking rap lessons in the closet. Yes, I'm talking about the terrible human, especially womens' rights that would go on in a country that's stinking rich with its oil money. Being the capital city, Riyadh was trying to implement the Shariat Law to the maximum at that time. Hope things are better now. Saudi women had to wear a full burkha covering their faces and we, the foreign women had to wear an 'abhaya' or a veil that could show o...